NVidia Composite Extension Bug
1. You need to be concerned if ..
- Your system has an NVidia graphics card and you want to use a
"recent" (circa 2008) version of the proprietary NVidia driver
- You are using a "recent" (circa 2008) version of Xorg X, as
found, for example, in Mandriva 2008 or 2008.1.
2. What are the symptoms of the bug?
- Windowing operations such as open, minimize, resize, ... applied
to windows opened by an xforms
application (such as xvs or DV) are excrutiatingly slow.
3. What's the fix?
- Explicitly disable the support for the (new and, clearly!,
experimental) Composite extension built into
recent versions of the NVidia drver:
- Following installation of the NVidia driver, execute
Alternatively, you can directly modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to include a Section of the form
Note that you must
restart the X-server for the changes to come into effect.
4. Where's the bug?
- That's not entirely clear yet, at least to me. Prime
suspects, in no particular order, are
- The xforms package
- The NVidia driver
- Xorg's X
problems, comments etc to Matt